Monday, February 28, 2011

Sewing Frenzy

I have heard no more about Said Musa. All we can do is continue to pray--for him and all those imprisoned unjustly.

Saturday morning we woke to see a flurry of activity under our lilac tree. Spring is coming! Woodpeckers galore! A flock of them! We identified three different kinds, all taking their turns at the suet feeder. Sorting through the old seed at the other feeder were mourning doves, crows, cardinals, starlings, nuthatches, juncos, and even a lone chickadee. All these birds after not seeing any for so long! We were delighted.

4-H has started up again and the girls are each making dresses. But because their patterns are difficult and they always have sizing issues, they are first making a "practice" dress. I am a volunteer at the 4-H center and have been assigned a girl who is making another difficult dress. I am learning as much as she is as we take it step-by-step. The women who lead there are incredibly talented.

If that weren't enough sewing, we have even bigger projects. Stacia has invited the girls to be junior bridesmaids in her wedding and after checking prices for dresses, we decided it would be best to make them. One of the teachers at 4-H was very helpful in choosing the patterns that would work best. Again, I need to make practice dresses before we invest in good fabric. So that's four dresses for me to make. So between the girls and me, we have eight dresses to sew by June! I also have a quilt I've been trying to finish for years and the end is in sight. But it might have to be held off a little longer.

Dominic gave us an idea for a money-making venture. He will design us a website if we want to go into the sewing business. That is an idea for the future after we get these dresses made. This could even branch out to lessons in our house for girls who want to start sewing. Some people do not live near the 4-H center or do not want to commit to the many hours required every weekend to sew with that group. If I could generate a little income for the household, it would help tremendously and take some of the burden from my hard-working husband.

As I was contemplating this idea this morning, I read this verse. Actually I don't even remember noticing it before. Jesus was telling a parable and he said, "Engage in business until I come." Part of the interpretation is that we are not to sit and look at the sky, doing nothing while we wait for Christ's return. Or sit in fear of world events, as some do. But in light of this parable, we are to do something useful with the resources, talents, and opportunities that God gives us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I owuld come for lessons, I wouil;d love to be able to commit a little time weekly to work with you!

Helen