Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Just ordinary

I'm just a mom. I don't stand out in a crowd. I was an ordinary girl, from an ordinary family. But I was damaged from living in this world and found no comfort or healing until Jesus found me. He rescued me from despair and gave me a new life.

When I was a child, quicksand was a common theme in TV shows. I would watch with fascination and horror while people were sucked into the earth without hope until someone rescued them. "I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." Psalm 40:1,2. God's words of wisdom and truth are the gems I mine from this rock in the early morning when I spend time with him.

Jesus understands "ordinariness." Outwardly, there was nothing about him that drew people to him, so he knows how I feel. He, too, came from a poor family living in a poor town. What's assuring to me is that Jesus went out of his way to minister to ordinary people. They attracted him. He loves the wounded soul.

My search for significance ends here. I don't have to go to school anymore to prove my brilliance. My youth is gone, so that crutch doesn't support me anymore. I can lay aside the "tough girl from a tough family" act. I learned to scorn people (to make me look better) and to be suspicious of others (everyone is out to get you.) I repelled people with "Don't mess with me!" yet I was always seeking arms to hold me. I'm free from all of this because Jesus found value in me. I have nothing to prove with him. He loves me as I am.

No comments: