Saturday, July 22, 2006

Seek contentment

"My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you." Psalm 63:5. The psalmist has been recalling God's goodness and praising him and then he states an amazing truth. Knowing God, experiencing his presence and his love, and seeing God work is enough to satisfy the soul. These are the richest gifts. They are satisfying. These things are the best this life has to offer. "They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light." Psalm 36:8.

Are you satisfied? What more do you want? In our human-ness we need people as well as God. We're created that way. So if you have family or friends, is that enough? Even Jesus acknowledged we need food and drink and clothing. He said not to worry about these things. If we seek God, they will be provided. Matthew 6:25-34. "My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19.

A home is good to have. But we could live without one. People do. Jesus did. Do we thank God for our house, or do we long for a different one? God has blessed us abundantly, way beyond what we actually "need." So why do we always want more? Why are we not content?

Are you content with your meal, or are you still searching the cupboard for more? Are you content with your husband or mentally cataloguing his faults? Do you wish to be single if you are married, or do you wish for a husband if you are single? Are you content with your children, or do you wish they were smarter, more talented, prettier? What about your looks? If only you were shorter/taller/ skinnier/fatter/older/younger? Are you content with your life, or is it boring or burdensome?

Some of us are living in very difficult situations with family problems or health issues. Being content does not mean pretending everything is fine. But there is a difference in complaining with an ungrateful heart and sharing deep concerns with our friends and crying out to God for help.

I admit to being a complainer. But I want to change. I want to recognize God's blessings and turn to him in time of need instead of looking for something this world has to offer, which will never satisfy for long. Do you live in a general state of grumbling? What do you reach for when you are discontent? I want to further explore this common problem among women.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God blessed me with being a content person. I generally don't want more than I have (except for chocolate chip cookies). However, as I thank God daily for my blessings of comfort (home, food, water, clothing, free country, safe neighborhood, etc.). I can't help but wonder if God gave me the testing of Job...would I still feel "blessed"? If a hurricane destroyed my home and killed my family and I were left alone, hungry and homelesss, would I be satisfied? Would I consider myself "blessed" with so much less "comfort"? Would I be content with just being a child of God? I am scared of my answer. I have so far to travel on my journey to grow closer to my Lord.

TJR