Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Prosperity 2

I consider myself one of the richest people in the world. God has lavished me with gifts and has never withheld any human joy from me. I lack nothing. All these riches are totally undeserved. I didn't name and claim anything but my generous heavenly Father has showered me with blessings. My heart is full of gratitude.

Yet, my husband is out of work on a disability and we're learning to be very creative in paying our bills. If you knew my life story, you would know that material wealth (as seen through American eyes) never entered the picture. But these facts don't diminish my view of my riches. We have more than enough "things". My children have food and clothing and we live in a comfortable home and drive reliable cars. But this isn't where my true wealth is.

As I searched the scriptures for Jesus' words on money, I found he has plenty to say on the subject. The Pharisees were rich and Jesus was always at odds with them, so many of his comments were directed at them. (Or maybe us?)

First of all, let's put to rest the passage from John 10:10, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." Or "more abundantly" as the King James Version says. This chapter is not about material wealth at all. It is about Jesus being the true shepherd who lays down his life for his sheep. We live life to the full when we follow him, but promises of having "stuff"--no.

Let's look at Jesus' life. First of all, he was born into a poor family. Did Jesus use his miraculous powers to give his parents a mansion to live in? Did Mary and Joseph expect material gain due to their "rights" as God's chosen people? Many of Jesus' followers were poor too. Are there any miracles recorded where Jesus zapped them with riches? Or that they even asked for them?

Jesus was more concerned with heart issues. "Do not store up for yourselves treasure on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also...No one can serve two masters, either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." Matthew 6:19-24. Our wealth (and our time and concern) must lie in what is eternal--God, and our relationship with him, and the souls of people.

It's not wrong to have money. It's how we feel about it, how we pursue it, and what we do with it that matters. If you have it, thank God for it, and use it for his kingdom and to serve others. If you don't have it, right after this teaching Jesus says, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?..." He ends with, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:25-34. A key verse in this passage is: "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things (food, clothing, things God knows we need) will be given to you." Vs. 33. We are to seek God, not for the goods he supposedly wants to hand over to us, but for him to fill our thoughts with his desires for our lives. He promised to provide for us. Don't "worry". He says it six times in this passage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON! It never entered my mind that Jesus could have given His family & friends great material wealth but chose not to. Why? Now that I think about it, His family & friends didn't ask Jesus for money either!!! What did they ask of Jesus? We as Christians need to learn from the examples of Our Lord's prophets & apostles, as well as all the people in the Bible stories that we read.

Bridget