Monday, August 12, 2013

Historical Fabric

 
 
Here is the fabric I got at the fair.  My niece wanted to see a picture.  I thought at first it looked like cotton and that maybe it was from a southern design.  But after doing some research I found out it came from a quilt made in York County, Pennsylvania in the early 1800's.  I read that the fabric was mostly likely bought in Philadelphia and had been imported from England.  Of course, it came from a reproduction of an antique quilt and is not the original fabric.  Now I am interested in finding the rest of the fabrics that were in this quilt.   And who has all the reproductions that were made?  There is a museum in York that I believe has the quilt and a store in Gettysburg might have some of the fabric.  It will be an interesting search.

1 comment:

Julia Marie said...

Oh, it's so pretty, Aunt Deborah! And what're the odds that it came from Pennsylvania too way back when? :) Thanks for the picture! Can't wait to see what you end up making with it!