Saturday, August 26, 2006

What are you wearing?

One last word on the trash truck incident. I called our phone company so we could get an adjustment on our bill. To me, it was outrageous that it took a whole week to restore our service. We are valuable customers. Shouldn't the company be trying to woo us back in its good graces, making up for our loss? Well, that didn't happen.

When I explained our position, the clerk wasn't sympathetic at all. In fact, he was rude and defensive! He said the company was being gracious to credit our account (all of $17) and that I should be grateful we weren't charged for the repair. I was angry! No, I didn't yell or curse, but I did not respond in a way pleasing to God. I was still quite indignant into the next morning until I read Colossians 3. "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Vs. 12, 13.

Was I compassionate, kind, humble, gentle or patient with this man? No. I was the opposite-- arrogant, harsh and impatient. "You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander..." Colossians 3:7, 8. When the pressure is on, I still revert back to my old nature, which unfortunately is still with me.

That clerk in customer service? Jesus died for him too. No telling what his life circumstances are that contributed to him talking to me the way he did. I had an opportunity to extend kindness and grace to him, but I did not. So what should I do now? Ask God to forgive me, of course. And...oh, no, please don't make me do that, Lord! Not the man on the phone! Well, I tried but I was not able to talk to him again. He had no extension and they could not connect me with him.

A couple of days later a quality assurance rep called to ask about how the phone company handled reconnecting our service. This time I explained the situation politely. I declined to tear apart the man I had spoken with. Without God's convicting words to me, I most surely would have.

What if Jesus had been indignant and angry with the way he was treated? There would be no hope for any of us. "Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus..." Romans 12:13.

No comments: