Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Life goes on

The pictures of our Russian experience are all developed and carefully mounted in our scrapbook pages. Fred removed Diana's picture from the refrigerator and we put away all the worksheets of Russian phrases, even though Liana is still answering every question with "da" or "nyet." I read two books on kids with special needs and knew we made the right decision that we could not parent Diana with our limited resources and skills. We're preparing for a new year of homeschooling and finishing up summer projects we don't have time to do during the school year.

Still...I think of her. What kind of life is going on for Diana right now? I guess she's still at her so-called "summer camp." She was very tan when she came so I guess she spends a lot of time outdoors before the bitter Russian winter sets in. How does she handle the cold and snow, this girl who loves running and swimming and biking? How she must dread another school year when the tasks are so difficult for her. Will memories of her summer on the other side of the world bring her joy?

I wonder if Diana even thinks of us. Or, in her disability are we out-of sight and out-of-mind? Is she angry we did not claim her, or did she ever know there was a possibility she might find a forever family? What will she think when Alexei's family comes for him in a few months? Surely she will recognize his family and ponder the possibility she missed out on.

The girls and I still pray for her, still hope there could be a family for her somewhere. The coordinator for Lighthouse asked me to write something about her to help a future host family. I did, and I pleaded her case for another chance. I posted to my groups too, but got no response. The books I read predict her bleak future without a loving family.

Lighthouse is bringing more children to the Philadelphia area in November. Will Diana be one of them? If not now, hopefully soon--to another state, another family.

No comments: