Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Planting Day

Mother's Day was one of those perfect kind of days. Sunny and warm and bright with fluffy flowers on the trees and blazing azaleas adorning homes. Church was crowded and I couldn't sit with my son and daughter-in-law, but my precious granddaughter squeezed in beside me.



At home, we needed to plant the garden. Fred had already put in some potted vegetables and said he would do the seeds so I could work on the wedding dresses. I knew I had to help him. It is backbreaking work. The sewing would just have to wait for another day. The girls ran out to make chalk drawings in the driveway. I got on my ragged gloves and old sneakers and headed out. I would have missed a blessing if I'd stayed inside.


Fred and I worked side-by-side and planted everything. Fred works so hard on the garden all season. It has really become his "baby" and not mine anymore. So I follow his lead and do things his way, even though my years of gardening experience vastly outnumber his!



We planted two packs of green beans. Be ready to receive the bounty, friends and family! I'm already envisioning the sweaty, painful work of harvesting them. Maybe I'll invite you over to pick your own!

Damien and Gretchen and Marissa came over. The deck is being renovated due to carpenter ant invasion, so we sat in chairs in the middle of the yard and watched the girls play badminton. Fred cooked out some burgers. We called the sliders because all we had were hot dog rolls. We cut them in half and made these tiny meat patties to fit on them. The children who couldn't come over called, so I was able to connect with each one. Later, Marissa, Arielle and I sat in the kitchen eating goodies and talking like three old women. I really am becoming my mother. That is her favorite activity too.

It was a blessed day.

No comments: