Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fabulous Gazpacho!


Our summer garden is dying down and we are harvesting the last of the vegetables. Right now we have a lot of tomatoes and cucumbers so I decided to try Spanish gazpacho. I've never eaten it, even when I lived in Spain. This soup is an explosion of flavor! I found a simple recipe:

3 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 T. rice vinegar (or wine vinegar)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 T. olive oil

Place all ingredients in blender or food processor. Process, but don't puree. Eat cold. So good and so good for you! What a great dish on a hot and humid summer night.
Friends, I have not shared our tomatoes with you like I would have liked. They just didn't look very nice. They tasted good but were full of holes and squirrel bites. I would have been ashamed to give them to anyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We aren't having much luck with our tomatoes this year either in KY. Too wet. That sounds like an awesome recipe. Is it really good cold though?? Cold makes me nervous when it is cold and veggies.

Deb said...

When I first made it I used the veggies fresh from the garden so the soup was more like room temperature, not cold. But gazpacho is traditionally served cold. I made some more and ate it cold right from the refrigerator, and I don't think it was as flavorful that way. It's like V-8! Only much, much better!

cmf said...

Great photo of Ariel!
Colleen