Thursday, October 08, 2009

Men with toys


No, this is not Fred's toy, thank goodness. He has been storing Marissa vehicle in our shed and she was coming to pick it up. So Fred took it out for a spin around the yard. As long as we've had it here at our house, he occasionally will start it up and ride it.
.
What he really wants is another motorcycle. He knows it is not a realistic dream. We can't afford such an unnecessary item and he is too old and it is too dangerous. One motorcycle accident is enough. Yes, he had one years ago when we first moved into this house. I rode with him once and it was enough for me. I kept looking down at the pavement rushing below my feet and thought about how it would feel to hit the street with a lot of force if we had a crash. No, thank you, not for me! On the day before my graduation from chiropractic school, with all the family gathered at our house, Fred's motorcycle got out from under him and dragged him down the street. My little three-year-old niece ran into the house and said, "Uncle Fred got hurt!"
.
He was surely hurt. An ambulance came for him and he was in pain for a long time with all the skin scraped off one side of his body. He hobbled in to my graduation ceremony on crutches, bandaged head to toe. What is it about men that they would want to risk this again? Of course, women ride motorcycles too. (My hairdresser does.) But, in general, it is the men who want toys and thrills. It's their adventurous spirit, I guess. I've had enough adventure to last a lifetime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! My father-in-law bought a Harley a few years ago and he and my mother-in-law go all over on it. They have a blast. They take trips to Tennessee, and days trips to different places. They love it. He saves gas driving it to work too on warm days.