Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Be still

A friend of mine asked why I haven't been writing much. I've been too busy! But it's not the writing that takes much time. I haven't had time to THINK! I've been stumbling along through my days, doing one task after another and not finding meaning or joy in anything I do.

This morning when the girls and I read our daily devotion, the scripture was Psalm 46:10. "Be still and know that I am God." Instead of proceeding with our work, I thought it would be a good time to talk about how important this is. Then we each went to our separate work areas and we took out our prayer journals and had five minutes of peace and listening for God. This post is what I learned in my five minutes of being still.

I started to write down what has been on my mind. I realized I've been stressed about many things and many people. A job for Fred. A job for me? The Census Bureau called again. Damien's house in the midst of negotiations. My friend Bridget in Peru. An old friend suffering with pancreatic cancer. My niece. After each entry on my page, I wrote a brief plea to God. Whispers of scripture came to my mind, bits and pieces that I later looked up and reflected upon.

"I do not involve myself in great matters, or in things too difficult for me. Surely I have composed and quieted my soul." Psalm 131.

"In quietness and trust is your strength." Isaiah 30:15.

"The Lord your God is in your midst, a might one who will save. He will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love." Zephaniah 3:17.

We all started our school day with a better attitude. Another translation of Psalm 46:10 says, "Cease striving, and know that I am God." I need to cease striving with everyone around me and not try to solve problems that are beyond my ability. I need to take five minutes to rest in God's presence and listen for his wisdom to guide my day. In stillness we find our bearings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly neede to read this post today, wish I had seen it last week!
Miss you!
h

Deb said...

Miss you too!