Thursday, April 15, 2010

Time


Spring has come again! I love the soft green of the trees. This is the view from my kitchen window. In the foreground is the pine that was our Christmas tree years ago. It was damaged in a winter storm and had to be staked. But it seems to have recovered well. I don't want to lose it. It marks time and our years together as a family. I have another tree, a flowering hawthorne, that was planted on my oldest son's birthday in March of 1996.
.
Continuing with the theme of being still...I've discovered one reason "time flies" is because we are so busy. Every day is packed with schedules, tasks, errands, commitments, daily chores, events, interruptions, etc., etc.. It's a marathon to complete it all and a race to finish before nightfall, only to get up the next day and run again.

We need to SLOW DOWN! I wish someone would tell me how! Our daily Bible reading brought us to Psalm 90 today, a prayer of Moses. I remember studying this Psalm when I was in Women's Bible Study at church years ago. The class was on Using Time Wisely. Oh, yes, Time Management. I failed that lesson. I picture time as a wild stallion I daily try to lasso and tame.

What new insights did I find in Psalm 90 today? Our lives are compared to grass that flourishes in the morning and in the evening it fades and withers. Life is short! But we know that.

Verse 9: "We bring our years to an end like a sigh." The day will surely come.

Verse 10: "The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty..." If only I knew I had seventy years! Would I be satisfied? No, I would ask for eighty. Life is a precious gift.

Verse 12: "So teach us to number our days that we present to you a heart of wisdom." We need to learn how to live out our days wisely.

Verse 14: "Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days." Time with our heavenly Father each day.

Verse 15: "Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us, and for as many years as we have seen evil." Life is good if the good days outnumber the bad.

Verse 16: "Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children." Yes!

Verse 17: "Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands." This is our prayer too.

The notes in my Bible on this last verse give another interpretation: "Give permanence to the work of our hands." Isn't that what makes life worthwhile? That something we've done will be lasting? What in this world lasts forever? Only the souls of people. So our priorities should always be people.

I still haven't figured out how to get through my day without rushing and all the frustration that comes with that. But without an earnest prayer for God's help, I will accomplish nothing of lasting value. As we read through the Old Testament, I am thinking about the emphasis on the Sabbath day of rest. Is this where I'm missing the mark? Did God foresee our tendency to rush about and overlook the essence of life?

No comments: