Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Competition

I don't like competition.  Somehow it seems ungodly.  If someone wins, someone else has to lose. The girls participated in the six-county regional fashion revue this week.  They look forward to it every year because of the activities they do with other girls.  This year they made jewelry and accessories and attended an etiquette class.  But looming heavily (for some) over all the fun is the COMPETITION.  I always try to prepare the girls.  They might not win.  They need to be gracious losers as well as gracious winners.  In the big picture of life, this is not all that important.  Every girl has already won because she has learned useful skills and created a beautiful garment.  Arielle and Liana always say, "We know; we know."  This year I told them the most important thing is to let their lights shine.  They have gentle, sweet spirits.  And if by chance they win, they should remember it is a God-given talent they have.  They cannot be boastful about it.


I was asked to work at this event for the first time.  I was a Timer, one who calls the girls in to see the judges, timing their meeting, and keeping the schedule moving.  It was an exhausting job!  I was on my feet (in new shoes) for about five hours without a break. But I was glad to do it.  I was able to personally talk to the girls as they waited in the hall before going in to see the  judges, and I could admire up-close the outfits they had sewn, which was very exciting.  I made some observations.  Many girls were nervous and timid about speaking to the judges and presenting their designs.  It was nice to be in a position to encourage them to smile and to tell them what a good job they had done.  Some girls were arrogant and condescending to the others, and this, above all, was most unbecoming, no matter how exquisite their outfits were.  And some of the clothing was definitely gorgeous!  Many girls made prom gowns, each more beautiful than the next.  I'm glad I didn't have to judge them.  They all worked so hard, and there it is again.  The COMPETITION.  All the girls deserved to win.


After modeling before a crowded auditorium, the winners were announced.  In the junior division, Liana's name was called!  Then the seniors.  Arielle's name was called!  The joy on their faces!  Arielle now has the opportunity to compete at the state level.  Later one of the junior judges came looking for Fred and me.  She wanted to tell us to encourage Liana in her sewing because she is so creative. (No need. She sews all the time.)  The judge was especially impressed with Liana's hand-embroidery with black stones that she incorporated into her jacket and purse.  She said Liana had the highest junior score of all.  Arielle told me later the judges were most interested in the patchwork design she used for her shirt pattern.  But it isn't just creativity that gave them points.  Expert construction and fit are very important, as I learned by being an "insider" to this event.  These things they learned from their very competent teachers in 4-H.


So now I had the opportunity to be a gracious mother of winners and not be lifted in pride because I really had nothing to do with it.  I remembered to thank the teachers who have bestowed their gifts on these girls.  Several sacrificed a great amount of time to encourage and teach and inspire them to do their very best.  One teacher taught Liana how to embroider, and then another helped Arielle alter the neckline of her patchwork shirt--not a simple task!  I am grateful these giving, kind women are part of my daughters' lives.













No comments: