Friday, July 06, 2012

New Flower

What is this?  I was delighted to find a new flower that I have never seen in my life!  Can you guess what it is?  Look beyond the flower to the shoots behind it.  I wish I could show this to my mother.  She loves this vegetable--OKRA!  We never grew it before and it appears to be doing quite well in this oppressive heat.






Can vegetables be beautiful?  I think so.  The cabbage is almost ready for harvest but we have to wait a little longer for eggplant and peppers.  Green beans that have been a summer staple for years are not nearly ready and quite sparse this year.  We finally found out why.  Despite all the fencing that keeps out deer and groundhogs, Fred found a cute, little brown bunny munching away on our vegetables this morning.  We've seen him in the yard before, but didn't know he was able to get through the fence into the garden. He prefers to eat the tops off the emerging bean plants.  Now we are like the mean, old Mr. McGregor.  This rabbit is not so cute anymore.



No comments: