Friday, June 11, 2010

A defeated life

I realized that all week I have been living in defeat. Fred has me very stressed out with all that is going on with him. I've been waiting for the next catastrophe. What else will happen to him? Besides the broken leg incident last October and the dental thing now, I didn't even write about his torn rib cartilage and our middle of the night escapade with that. We're all on edge. But is this the way to live?

Consider the plans of the evil one. If he can't get us to lose our faith, he will discourage us so we live in defeat--frustrated, joyless, tired, trudging through our day. Falling into bed at night, another day gone. Another day gone? We have limited days! We can't waste even one! And what are we teaching our kids? Scripture says, "Let no man steal your joy." In our case, we should let no circumstance steal our joy.

I need a reminder that God is in control! This is his battle, and it's a spiritual war. The enemy is without, but the enemy is also within--our negativity and our hopeless attitude. I've been reading a daily devotional from the words of Charles Spurgeon. He says, "The battle is the Lord's and he will deliver his enemies into our hands. With steadfast foot, strong hand, dauntless heart and flaming zeal, rush to the conflict and the hosts of evil shall fly like chaff before the gale."

Today I will look around at all the gifts I've been given. When trouble comes I will call upon the one who has already won the battle. He is the sword and shield of his people.

So here is what I did today: Fred called me on his way home from the hospital, concerned about the two rows of lima beans that never germinated. He said he planned to replant them when he got home. He can't do that! What is that crazy man thinking? But I know how he is when he gets an idea in his head. So the girls and I put on our gardening clothes and got out the hand tools. I don't know how to use the rototiller. I took an old-fashioned hoe--great tool--and set to work on that end of the garden. The sun was hot and the ground dry and hard. I beat it until my muscles ached. Bugs tormented me. But I conquered. I raked the plot smooth and planted new beans. I pulled the radishes and picked the spinach and arugula. Tasty gifts. I sat in the dirt and weeded the onions. I hilled up the potatoes. Life is back in order.

I read this today: "Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep." Psalm 127: 1, 2.

Rest and sleep, beloved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never tasted victory or defeat.”
- Theodore Roosevelt

J

Deb said...

Great quote.