Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Home alone

The girls went to their regional fashion show today. But it's not just a show. They also have classes on different topics, do a craft, and work on a community service project. Today they sewed bags with pockets to attach to wheelchairs or walkers so people that use those things can carry around their supplies.


I dropped the girls off at noon and then Fred and I did some errands. Then he went to work. I had a total of three and a half hours HOME ALONE! That just never happens for me. I am usually never apart from my girls, and even if I was, Fred would be home. I was kind of excited about this unexpected time.


So what did I do? First of all, I ate a bowl of ice cream and picked up the book I've been trying to find time to read. Pearl of China by Anchee Min. That was a very nice treat! Then I took advantage of the quiet to read the book of Titus and spend time in prayer. Convicting verses in that passage of scripture.


To catch up on housework, I decided I would try to do at least one project per day this summer. Homeschooling moms just never seem to find time for house cleaning. It's not just me with a messy house at the end of June. So I cleaned my room--dusting, mopping, getting rid of clutter. Then I scrubbed the tub in one of our bathrooms. Next, I made dinner for Fred to eat when he gets home. I folded laundry. The UPS guy delivered hay I had ordered for the guinea pigs. And then my time was up. It was a long drive to the fashion show, and I wanted to get there early for a good seat. It was a novelty to have time alone at home, but I missed my girls! Life would be so boring without them.


It was an exciting night. Girls from nine counties modeled their outfits. What amazing clothing they had created! It is unbelievable that children so young can sew so well. And the high school girls? Even more spectacular. They made prom gowns, coats, suits, and office attire like silk blouses and wool pencil skirts. Truly awesome outfits. My girls in their little cotton dresses didn't stand a chance.



First the winners of the juniors were called. Juniors are ages 8 to 12. It is Arielle's last year as a junior. Her name was announced! Immediately after, Liana's name was called! We were shocked. This is Arielle's fourth year at regionals and she never won before. Liana did not win last year either. I took home two happy girls. They are already dreaming of next year's outfits.

4 comments:

Arielle said...

You ate ice cream without us!!!!! Humph!

Liana said...

I can't believe I won last night!

Stacia said...

Arielle, you look so grown up! It's only been 6 months since I've seen you and you are already looking like a young lady. Liana, you look so happy in this picture! I wish I had been there to see you both win. Congratulations, fashionistas!

Arielle said...

Thanks Stacia!