Monday, July 12, 2010

Laughter and guacamole

Dominic and Stacia came for the weekend! We haven't seen them in awhile and it was a wonderful visit. Since they don't own a car, they rented one to drive here and haul back a lot of goods. So we got to go shopping with them, much to the delight of the girls.

We spent Saturday at Ikea and it was so much fun watching Dominic and Stacia buy furniture and plan for their lives together. Arielle and Liana loved exploring the store and imagining their own dream homes. After making sure we had seen every item in the entire store, we came home hungry and there was still dinner to prepare. Dominic had brought two ripe avocados from his house, so we searched my cupboards for something to use to make guacamole. Here is our improvised recipe: It was yummy and we wolfed it down immediately with a big bag of tortilla chips.

2 mashed avocados
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tomato, chopped
hot pepper sauce
salt
2 T. lime juice

For two nights after dinner I enjoyed conversation with my soon-to-be daughter-in-law while Dominic and Liana cleaned the kitchen and did the dishes. (Liana never helps me like that.) What a treat! Years ago my mom and I always lingered at the dinner table after everyone ate. We picked at the leftovers and shared one-on-one time while the rest of the family took off to avoid having to help with clean-up. Back then the dishes awaited us. Not now! Dominic and Liana gave me a break. Stacia also gave Dominic and me an opportunity to talk by spending time with the girls as the three of them colored pictures.

It was Chrissy and Jon's first anniversary this weekend, so when I reminded the kids of that, Dominic set to work making a very silly card. I told the girls I have a big box of silly cards he's made for me through the years. He always brings such fun to our house.

On Sunday Dominic and Stacia packed the car and we said our good-byes in the street. I think of many other farewells when my heart would break not knowing when I would see my son again. But now he is not so far away and his future is full of promise. Stacia is a lovely woman and became part of our family the day we met her. I'll be glad when it's "official."

After all the drama of the last few weeks, Dominic and Stacia lifted us up from the gloom and doom and made us laugh.

No comments: