Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Shadow of His Wings


The girls and I were riding along in the car heading to our favorite clothing store. We came to an intersection where you have to crane your neck to look for cars coming down a hill. It is not a perpendicular intersection, and for some reason, it is difficult to see. At the moment I got there, I stopped, looked, saw nothing, and proceeded across. Then behind me, I heard the whiz of a car at high speed and a horn blaring. I never saw a car, not when I stopped to look, and not now. But I believe I pulled out in front of this car. It must have been in a blind spot. I was shaken. My precious daughters would have been hurt.



All the rest of our journey I kept replaying this moment, trying to figure it out. We all thanked God for protecting us. As I pulled off the exit at our destination, a huge hawk soared overhead, its shadow cast upon our car. God's answer. He gave me these special verses years ago. I know many others also claim them as their own.



"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty...He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you may seek refuge." Psalm 91.



When bad things happen, people often accuse God. How could he let this happen? Bad things do happen. But for us, not today. I wonder how many times throughout life God has intervened and prevented disaster? Times we reflect on, like this day, and times we never even knew about.

No comments: