Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer Night




My grandchildren are in town visiting and yesterday they spent the day at our house. Since we only see them once a year, I always wonder how they will have changed. Having four sons of my own, I know that boys can turn into strangers at a certain age. It is very troubling at the time and you don't know until years later that they will eventually return to their former selves. So I wondered about Seth especially this year. He is fourteen.



To my delight, Seth greeted me with one of his trademark hugs, the kind that nearly breaks your ribs. He is taller and more handsome, but otherwise he is still our Seth, funny and sweet. Kelsey has grown up and matured. She handles her brother's teasing now with great patience.



It was a hot day and swimming is not available to us, so what to do? Seth is not a sitting around kind of guy so he suggested miniature golf. So that is what we did. Afterwards we made homemade chocolate chip ice cream and ate it before dinner. Grandmas can get away with that.



Damien had invited us for a cook-out. We admired his gardens and talked about how to improve the soil for vegetables. I'm amazed at my son's gardening knowledge and that I am actually asking him for advice. Jon and Chrissy and Lana came and we had great fun laughing and just being together.



You can be in the midst of some activity and all of a sudden get a sense that these are moments to treasure. You pause and take it in, wanting to hold on to them for just a bit longer. Damien had served his famous blackened barbeque chicken with the sauce glazed on it just so and we were digging in and enjoying. Lana and Liana sat side by side sharing a big chair. Lana was talking about the animals she saw at the St. Louis Zoo. Gretchen and I were discussing her upcoming wedding. Citronella candles flickered on the tables as the sun set and the dark shadows of the trees surrounded us. This is what life is about, precious family time with my children, grandchildren, and the young women that have joined our family. Ordinary times, yet extraordinary. I am so blessed.

No comments: