Thursday, January 21, 2010

Creation groaning

Scripture tells us all of creation is groaning, waiting for redemption. I haven't been able to write. There are no words for the sorrow all around us. The earthquake and the people and their stories and the pictures we see from Haiti are heart wrenching. Also last week I ran into my former neighbor whose son died in Afghanistan last year. She told me of a single day of joy she experienced last month, the first in almost a year. But then she turned once more to tears as she reminded me the anniversary of Marc's death was approaching. I had not forgotten.

On Sunday we learned a 12-year-old boy from our church was killed in a sledding accident. I think of my neighbor and another good friend who have lost children and I know the oceans of tears this family will shed for the rest of their lives. Will the suffering in this world ever end? My own life is insignificant and shallow next to these people and their despair. How can I write about trivia? How do we pray? What can we do?

"Comfort, oh comfort my people," says our Lord in Isaiah 40:1. On the news we see pictures of food and supplies stacked on the tarmac in Haiti. Are there not enough people to distribute it? I wish I could join a team and go there. I read that our governor came back on a plane with 53 orphans who will stay with foster families until they are adopted. Sign us up. We will care for a child. I know my frustration of being helpless to help is felt all around us here in the land of plenty.

We have learned more about the 12-year-old's death. At the hospital the nurses removed his boots and found a piece of paper with a scripture written on it. He apparently had tucked this into his boot before going sledding that day. This paper was given to his parents when they arrived at the hospital. Their only son's last gift to them.

Here is the scripture: "Count it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds. Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:2-4)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How amazing that the boy put that scripture in his boot!!! Truly a gift to his parents! What an inspiration that parents made scripture such an important part of their life that their son put one in his boot! It makes me realize that I have been really slacking in teaching my children scripture. When I used to drive them to school, we used to memorize a verse or so per week. But for the past several years they have been taking the bus and we haven't learned any new verses. I'll make a concerted effort as we start Lent next week.
T.R.