Thursday, January 07, 2010

New Year Project

Fred and I have decided to work through one of those Read-Through-The-Bible in a year schedules. Our pastor posted a few different ones on his blog and we chose one and diligently began reading. Fred is even more serious than I am, and I will see him with his Bible open and it will remind me that I haven't done my reading for the day yet. So far, we read two or three chapters in Genesis, one in Psalms, and one or two in Matthew each day. A nice balance of scripture.

Here is the link: www.esv.org/biblereadingplans We are doing the first one on the list, but as you can see, there are many different ones. You can even hear them rather than read them. You can also sign up to have the passage delivered to your e-mail box so you don't have to go on the website each day. Of course, you don't have to use this version of the Bible. The idea is just to read!

I have an ESV Study Bible and sometimes I get caught up in the commentary and it takes me a long time to finish a chapter. The study Bible gives the historical context, which I find fascinating. It is even more meaningful to do this daily reading with a friend. With Fred and I both reading the same passages each day, we have been discussing ideas that we find interesting or puzzling or inspiring.

Let me know if you choose to do our plan and then I can talk about what we read with you too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Kelli said...

I'm doing this too! I have a little booklet with the schedule. It's proving very interesting! :)